Wednesday 12 November 2008

What price for a photo?

An age old question faced by photographers every day of their working life. but I have to feel for a photographer friend who was recently approach by a junior member of a small publications editorial staff, wanting to use one of his pictures in the publication. After asking the usual questions, about magazines circulation, image placement and size etc. He quoted what he felt was a very reasonable price. Imagine the look on his face when he was told. "We never pay photographers for pictures, most times they pay us, so that the can advertise the fact that they've been published".
Wow there's a business concept I hadn't thought of. Imagine the amount of extra work I could get if I paid clients for the privilege of shooting them.

But I guess it's not that new, I'm hearing that wedding photographers in some parts are advertising that they'll shoot your wedding absolutely free... just to get experience. I saw a post on a bridal forum the other day advising brides to go to their local school and ask one of the photography students to photograph their wedding. Much cheaper than paying for photos taken by a professional, and in the words of this writer " more likely than not the photos will be better too".

I'm pretty sure that holding your reception at Macca's would save heaps of money as well. The only difference is at the little Scottish restaurant you'll get a half decent feed, I'm not sure about your photos though.

No comments: