Friday 22 February 2008

Fleeting moments

Canon 1d IIN 24-70mm f2.8

Sometimes when shooting wedding photos, things happen. Usually spontaneous little moments that last fleeting seconds, if your not ready for the shot its gone forever. I'm not talking about the kiss at the alter or the grooms facial expression when he glimpses his bride walking down the isle towards him. Those sorts of shots, are believe it or not. predictable. Any wedding photographer worth their salt, should have a very good chance of getting those shots.

I'm talking here about the facial expressions and reactions that happen completely without warning. The shot above captured at a recent wedding, was an example. Our groom was exchanging banter with a couple of the wedding car drivers. Our photo session was over, my gear mostly packed and loaded into the truck. I spotted the potential for this shot, grabbing the only camera available ran over an fired off 3 frames. Then it was all over. Not the best shot from the wedding by a long way, but one that gives me great pleasure because I know that this is one moment that didn't get away.

For me as a wedding photographer, that's enough to make me want to go back and photograph another wedding next week. New people, new locations and endless new opportunities to capture little moments in history.

No comments: