Wednesday 23 April 2008

Waterfall Wednesday

Canon 1Ds II, f2.8 16-35mm USM L.

Eight hours of tramping over countless kilometres of bush tracks in search of great locations to create fine art images was the name of the game today. Were we successful? Well to be honest at this stage I have no idea. we found a couple of great spots which I guess we will us some time in the future.
Robyn found one site which see has named the Nymph Rock, which has huge potential for working with beautiful young models to create simply stunning portfolio images. Why call it the Nymph Rock? A good friend of ours who earns his living shooting beautiful women, naked for magazines and calenders, often refers to a natural locations as "great but really needs a beautiful Nymph". Todays spot is a great shot waiting to happen, all we need to do is find the beautiful young nymph. Check out some of our friends "clothed nymphs" here.

While hiking today, I discovered that I need to do a lot more walking. Yesterday I chose a cheap pair of new walking boots because I thought the trail would be simple, easy walking, but it wasn't. After several kilometres of walking over rocky unstable boulders on a nearly dry river bed, I realized that you get what you pay for...

Good walking boots have good grip, are padded for comfort and have great ankle support for when you loose your footing on a loose or slippery rock. Bad boots are often not comfortable but worse than that they are prone to loosing grip just when you need it most. If I choose to put my foot on a certain rock and it moves causing me to loose my balance, thats my fault and I deserve to fall or injure myself. That happens enough already. I don't need boots that let go on a perfectly good foot hold. Note to self never ever use poor quality walking boots when out in the bush. A sprained ankle a couple of hundreds metres from my car isn't a problem, but the same injury 2 days walk from the car is a major problem.

Today, my good walking boots came out, but all to late, the old legs are killing me and suspect the repairs to the trusty old boots may need a bit more wearing in. I think I'm looking forward to all day driving tomorrow.

No comments: